Citizens' Charter - Department of Legal Metrology & Consumer Affairs, Naharlagun
This Charter is a declaration of our commitment to achieve excellence in formulation and implementation of Policies and Procedures of the Department of Legal Metrology & Consumer Affairs for the benefit of the consumers and the public at large.
1. Maintenance of accuracy in weights, measures, weighing & measuring.
2. Safety of consumer products and protection of Consumer’s rights & interests.
1. To administer the Legal Metrology Act, 2009 and Rules framed thereunder
for the regulation or weights and measures, weighing and measuring instruments in the State.
2. To administer the Consumer Protection Act,1986 under which a 3- tier structure of consumer redressal agencies at the district, state and national level has been set up to provide speedy and inexpensive relief to the consumer with genuine grievances.
3. To operate the State Consumer Welfare Fund that provides financial assistance for promoting and protecting welfare of consumers, generate consumers’ awareness and strengthen the consumer movement in the State.
4. We are the Nodal Department for monitoring & co-ordinating activities of the Bureau of Indian Standards which is a statutory body, responsible for formulation of need-based Indian Standards, certification of goods (i.e. grant of licence for use of ISI Mark, quality system certification, laboratory testing etc.).